Thursday, January 24, 2013

Last Day Reflections


  • What did you learn about photography that you did not know before?
This semester in photography, I learned the importance of taking great photos. Most people don't understand that great photos take a lot of hard work to create. First you have to adjust yourself and you camera to the correct lighting; you must change the ISO number and shutter speed to accurately capture that moment in time. Working in photoshop was new to me as well. I was not aware of what I could do to my photographs using photoshop. I also learned how to use film in the dark room. At the beginning of the semester, I didn't know what the dark room process was, or even how it worked, but now, through many trials and errors, I understand the fun and extreme caution that one must take when entering and working in the dark room.

  • What did you learn about yourself this semester?
Over the semester, I learned a lot about myself, including what style photos and what type of photography I enjoy most. I also learned that I am not a portrait photographer.... I am not very creative when it comes to photographing people's faces and limbs. I think my favorite project would have been either the macro photos or silhouette photos. I love the different perspective you get when you photograph an object; I also love how a photo can change based on how you look at it and you can imagine/recreate that object into something else.

  • What do you wish we had done that we did not?
For the most part, this class covered everything I wanted to know. I just wish we would have gone into the settings and learning about our cameras in greater detail. I will definitely take what I have learned and use it, I just wanted to know what else I can do with my camera that I didn't know existed. The majority of my photographs are taken inside a gym or outside at my brother's sporting events and/or on our family vacations. I wish I knew the proper settings for outdoor photos, but I guess that will come with experience and mostly trial and error.

  • What was your struggle?
My struggle was mostly with the creative side of my portrait photographs. For most of the photos, I could never seem to find what really said "That's who I am", or "This represents who they are as a person." I didn't really understand how I know who or what people are on the inside. From this I learned that it isn't necessarily who they are, but how I, the photographer, see them to be and it is my job to portray that in my photographs. 

  • What did you Conquer? 
This semester I conquered my fear of imperfection.  I realize that not everything is going to turnout how I planned it to be. My photos aren't necessarily going to become what I see in my head, so I have to dedicate my time and effort to create those photos and it won't be easy. 


Mr. Hohman-- Thank you for everything you have done to help me this semester. You have definitely made me a better photographer and person. I look forward to showing you all of my creations in Photo 2 next year. Thanks again for all your help!-- Ashley


No comments:

Post a Comment